1. A nursery area of 1000 sq. m. is sufficient to transplant one hectare. Plough nursery field twice under dry condition.
2. Apply wherever possible decomposed and powdered farm yard manure @ 500 kg/1000 sq. m.
3. Puddle two to three times subsequently in standing water (2 - 3 cm), preferably at intervals of five days.
4. Level the field perfectly after final puddling and prepare seedbeds of 1.0 to 1.5 m width and of convenient length leaving 30 cm wide channels in between the beds.
5. Apply 5 to 10 kg N, 5 kg P2O5 and 5 kg K2O for every 1000 sq. m. area of the nursery before the final levelling. Double the Phosphatic fertilizer where low temperature retards seedling growth.
6. In zinc deficient areas, apply Zinc Sulphate @ 3 - 4 kg/1000 sq. m. Iron chlorosis (seedling yellowing) can be prevented either by spraying 2 per cent Ferrous Sulphate solution 2 to 3 times at weekly intervals or by frequent inundations.