Symptoms of False Smut
1. Symptoms of the false smut will be seen only after flowering.
2. The pathogen, Ustilaginoidea virens, grows in the ovary and transforms it into large, yellowish and velvety green balls, which become greatly enlarged at later stage.
3. The spore balls are covered by a membrane in the early stages, which bursts on further growth and the loose velvety pseudomorphs become visible.
Control of False Smut
1. Destruction of straw and stubble from infected plants reduce the disease.
2. Applying Captan, Captafol, Fentin Hydroxide, and Mancozeb can inhibit conidial germination.
3. Fungicides, Propiconazole, Copper Oxychloride, Mancozeb and Chlorothalonil effectively reduce the incidence of the disease.