PrintSend to friend
1. To plant 1 ha (with 2 seedlings per hill at 20 cm x 15 cm spacing), use 20 kg good quality seed (with > 80% germination and establishment).
2. Prepare 400 m2of nursery for each 1 ha to be planted. Apply 30-35 t/ha of well-decomposed organic manure and 65 kg urea/ha and 150 kg SSP/ha at the time of last puddling.
3. Plough, puddle and level the field well. After the final pass, allow 1 to 2 days before sowing for the mud to settle and for any water on the soil surface to become clear.
4. For healthy seedling, apply zinc sulphate (heptahydrate) @100 kg/ha or 62 kg/ha zinc sulphate monohydreate/ha at the time of last puddling.
5. The nursery raised with zinc application meets the need of zinc in transplanted crop under medium status of zinc.
6. Seeds should be treated with fungicide to get rid against diseases. For this soak the selected seed (8kg/acre) in 10 L of water containing 5g Emisan 6 and 1g Streptocyclin for 8-10 hours.
7. After this dry the seeds under shade After that soak the seed for 24 h. Drain and incubate (cover and keep moist) for 24 h.
8. It leads to sprouting the seed and the first seed root grows to 2-3 mm long. Sow the pre-germinated seed uniformly on the prepared seedbed. (Approximately 1 seed/cm2).Irrigate the seedbed 2-3 days after sowing or when the soil begins to crack in heavy textured soil.
9. As the seedlings grow, maintain a water level of 2 cm above the soil surface until the seedlings are. removed
Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana