PrintSend to friend
Symptoms of damage:
1. The larvae of the borers enter the tiller, feed, grow and cause the characteristic symptoms of ‘dead hearts’ or ‘white ears’ depending on the crop stage.
2. At tillering stage, the feeding frequently results in severing the apical parts of the plant from the base.
3. The central leaf whorl does not unfold, turns brownish and dries out although the lower leaves remain green and healthy. This condition is known as ‘dead heart’. Affected tillers dry out without bearing panicles.
4. During panicle exertion, severing of growing part from the base results in the drying out of panicles. Panicles may not emerge out at all and those that have already emerged do not produce grain.
5. The empty panicles are very conspicuous in field as they remain straight and whitish.
1. To control the insects like leaf roller, Case worm, Army insects etc. spray Chlorpyriphos 1 lit. or Endosulfan or Quinolphos 1.5 lit./ha and add Tipol 5 ml/10 lit.of water during at the time of spray.
2. To control Babhani insects spray Phosphymidon @4-5 ml/10 lit.of water or Monocrotophos @ 1 ml/lit. of water.