PrintSend to friend
1. Moisture content (MC) has a marked influence on all aspects of paddy and rice quality and it is essential that paddy be milled at the proper moisture content to obtain the highest head rice recovery.
2. Paddy is at its optimum milling potential at moisture content of 14% wet weight basis.
3. Grains with high moisture content are too soft to withstand hulling pressure which results in grain breakage and possibly pulverization of the grain.
4. Grain that is too dry becomes brittle and has greater breakage.
5. Moisture content and temperature during the drying process is also critical as it determines whether small fissures and/or full cracks are introduced into the grain structure.