PrintSend to friend
1. Rice A line cannot produce viable pollen due to sterile cytoplasm, described as being cytoplasmic male sterile (CMS).
2. It is used as a female parent for hybrid rice seed production.
3. The male sterile line is commonly called a CMS line or the seed parent or the female parent or the A line.
4. Panicles may not exsert fully. Their basal portion remains inside the flag leaf sheath.
5. Anthers are pale or white and shrivelled. The flowering period usually lasts for 7 days.
Agro Techniques for Hybrid Rice Cultivation and Seed Production - 2005, DRR Training Manual