PrintSend to friend
• Selecting about 100 plants with the typical characteristics of the original EGMS lines and planting them separately in pots.
• Transferring the pots at the sensitive stage into a glasshouse with a controlled temperature or phytotron where appropriate temperature and photoperiod are set.
• Monitoring pollen sterility critically at the time of heading and selecting plants with 100 per cent sterility.
• Ratooning selected plants in suitable short-photoperiod/low temperature conditions and collecting their selfed seed (nucleus seed).
• Bulking nucleus seed from each selected plant in a row and comparing the agronomic characters and fertility or sterility traits of the selected rows or lines with those of the original line.
• Selected lines that are identical/ similar to the original ones are harvested. The harvested seed is also called nucleus seed.
• Multiplying nucleus seed to produce breeder seed and multiplying breeder seed to produce foundation seed of EGMs lines.
Agro Techniques for Hybrid Rice Cultivation and Seed Production - 2005, DRR Training Manual