PrintSend to friend
1. Discoluration of rice grains. is becoming a major problem in certain varieties of rice both in upland and lowland conditions. It redUces the germination, causes decay of seedlings, produces chaffy grains and lowers the consumption quality of the grains.
2. The disorder may be limited to individual grains, but in severe cases almost the entire panicle including the rachis becomes discoloured.
3. Drechslera oryzae, Fusarium sp., Nigrospora oryzae, Penicillium sp., Curvularia sp., Sarocladium oryzae and Rhizophus sp. are associated with the discoloured grains. Heavy nitrogenous fertilizers increase the discolouration of grains.
Grain discoluration may be checked by-
• Spraying of 0.1 % Carbendism at the time of panicle emergence
• Clean cultivation
• Growing resistant varieties