1. One flower makes up the spikelet, which consists of a rachilla (a small axis) bearing a single floret.
2. The spikelet is borne on the pedicel, a short stalk that is an extension of the panicle axis and the primary or secondary branch.
3. There are two short rudimentary glumes at the upper end of the pedicel.
4. A pair of sterile lemmas and the rachilla is located between the rudimentary glumes and the spikelet.
5. The flower is enclosed in the lemma and palea, which may be either awned or awnless.
Morphological and Floral Characteristics of Rice ( Dr. A. S. Hari Prasad DRR)